Average Joe's is a used car dealership we associate with. See inventory on the AVERAGE JOE'S FACEBOOK PAGE.
Are your tires safe? Let our team at Joe's Transmission and Auto Repair make sure.
Are you certain your tires are in great shape and ready to take you anywhere you want to go? In any type of weather? That you can stop when you need to even if the road conditions are not optimal? Our Calhoun drivers depend on our team here at Joe's Transmission and Auto Repair to check their tires on every visit and determine just how much tread is left. We check the tires based on the manufacturer's estimation and tread wear as well as your driving habits. Those habits play a big factor in determining how soon you need to change out your tires. Tire manufacturers analyze the capabilities of their tires under a variety of road conditions and speeds to ensure the safety and durability of their tires. These tests are conducted on all factory-made tires whether they are intended for rain, snow, off-road, performance, or fuel conservation. Among the many tests done on new tires is stopping distance and there are many factors that determine that distance! Our job is to ensure your safety on the road after you leave our shop so you can drive with peace-of-mind.
How do you determine what safe tire tread is for your vehicle?
It takes 5 minutes to properly check your tires and make sure your tires are safe.
Tread Depth & Wear. A simple way to determine whether you need tires is the quarter test. Insert a quarter upside down into your tire's tread. If the tread of your tire does not touch George Washington's head, it's time to have your tires replaced.
5/32" or greater depth: Your tires are in good condition and do not need to be replaced.
4/32" Depth: Your tires should be monitored and you may notice a decline in wet weather performance.
3/32" Depth: Monitor your tires closely and replace them soon to ensure your vehicle is road ready, safe, and dependable.
2/32" Depth or less: You need tires now. Driving is unsafe with tires in this condition and should be replaced right away.
Inflation: Check the air pressure monthly and before taking any long trips. Poor inflation can cause premature wear, increased fuel consumption, and tire failure.
Rotation: Your tires should be rotated every 3,000-5,000 miles. When done consistently, this helps maintain proper traction and gives you the maximum tread life.
Eye Check Daily: Inspect your tires daily for penetrations, bulges, cracks, and abnormal wear. Don't forget to check the tire edges for damage caused by misalignment or under-inflation.
Trust your tires to our team of automotive technicians at Joe's Transmission and Auto Repair IN Calhoun where we care about your safety.
When your car, truck, or SUV begins to shake, vibrate or pull to either side while driving it typically means it's time to bring it into our shop here at Joe's Transmission and Auto Repair in Calhoun, for an alignment! Doing so early will save serious wear and tear on tires and it is an easy fix when we catch it early. But what exactly is a tire alignment and why is it important?
We look at our customer's vehicles each time they come in and set up a vehicle maintenance plan for them, alignments are part of your vehicle maintenance and checked typically every 6,000 miles on average. Wheel alignments ensure optimal vehicle driving and help your tires last longer, your vehicle will drive better.
Alignments can also be necessary after a shock to your front wheels like running through a pothole or hitting a curb on our local streets here in Calhoun. The suspension and front end assembly of your vehicle you drive are comprised of many different components, which keep your tires centered and resting flat on the pavement. When things wear out or move over a fairly long period of time, it’s necessary to reset your front end components to get your car, truck, or SUV driving straight again. Avoid driving too much if you believe your tires need an alignment; investing in a repair at Joe's Transmission and Auto Repair as soon as you notice any of the symptoms listed as the more you drive, the worse the damage is.
Important Tips: To save you hundreds on repairs with new tires, suspensions & steering parts, make sure to look at your tires for uneven tread wear.
Signs of Off Alignment Checklist:
- Your car or truck pulling to one side or the other is a great sign that you need an alignment. Simply get on a straight road like an interstate and release the wheel for a few seconds and see if it pulls. When you come into the shop let us know which side it pulls towards.
- If the steering wheel is crooked! Your alignment is off! Sounds odd but it is true, looking at your steering wheel when you are going straight if it isn't properly lined up you DO have a problem.
- When you are driving on a smooth road and your steering wheel is vibrating or shaking we have a problem which could be an alignment or it could be a tire balance problem.
- Your tires are starting to wear unevenly or rapidly as a sign of needing an alignment.
Trust our team of highly trained mechanics at Joe's Transmission and Auto Repair, to diagnose your vehicle issues and get you safely on the road. An alignment when you first notice the issue will save you the costs of replacement tires and suspension parts plus dramatically improve the drive quality of your vehicle. Our mechanics will align your wheels and front end quickly, and do it right. Come by Joe's Transmission and Auto Repair in Calhoun and get your alignment troubles taken care of today!
Why is your oil change so important?
Oil changes may seem mundane, but if your car is maintained correctly you must change your oil as it is a crucial part of your vehicle and should always be part of your recurring maintenance. The fewer surprises your car throws at you the better and Joe's Transmission and Auto Repair in Calhoun, KY wants you to know just how important your oil changes are.
The oil in your engine is essentially its lifeline. It protects moving parts from rust, friction, and cleans your engine by absorbing carbon buildup and debris. When you neglect an oil change, that oil saturated with dirt, and debris begins to work against you. First, small particles in the oil wreak havoc on bearings and small oil journals. If neglected for too long, oil begins to break down or coagulate, inefficiently lubricating moving parts and clogging passageways. Old oil will destroy an engine, either through bearing and part wear or oil starvation, or both at the same time. Too much wear on internal engine parts will cause the engine to fatally malfunction, sooner rather than later.
What are the other benefits of a regular oil change?
- Improved engine performance: Clean oil and a fresh air filter will keep all the important parts of your engine clean and lubricated. This creates a smoother and quieter ride. A smooth running engine has a positive effect on multiple areas of your vehicle.
- Prevents debris build-up: Older oil will stick to engine parts. This can turn into debris, clog up areas, and create build up. Changing the oil and filter regularly remove and prevent this nasty build up. If you do the majority of your driving on dirt roads you will need more regular oil changes.
- MPG: As mentioned above, regular oil changes offer up improved lubrication. Newer, cleaner oil reduces friction that can slow your engine which means you’ll end up paying more money for gas. New, clean oil also helps your engine run cooler. A cooler engine is more efficient. Anti-freeze and oil work together to cool your engine together. If one isn’t working right it negatively affects the other one.
- Cleaner emissions: Older cars, trucks, RVs, and SUVs can burn old, dirty oil which increases emissions. Dirty oil allows hydrocarbons to build up in the crankcase. If the oil is dirty the emissions levels can raise. Brand new oil is much less likely to burn and can also absorb particles which means less pollution.
- Longer engine life: Whether you live in the city, suburbs, or country your engine will get dirt and debris stuck inside of it. If you change your oil there is less friction. With less friction, there is much less wear and tear. Less wear and tear means a much longer engine life. If you change your oil regularly, there is less carbon build-up. Altogether this will save you money in the long run. Replacing an engine can cost quite a bit of money.
- Other car parts: Clean, new oil doesn’t only protect the engine. It also protects other car parts that are constantly in motion. Oil lubricates the crankshaft and the connection rods. This controls the pistons from going up and down when your engine is on. The cylinder walls allow the rings to build up better compression when lubricated. The camshaft is the valve train that opens and closes the engine tank and exhaust valves. The oil keeps this lubricated and moving efficiently as well.
- Other issues: If you get a regular oil change then the other parts of your vehicle will also get checked. We offer affordable oil changes and will also check for other issues while you are here.
- Warranty: Most terms of a warranty include regular oil changes. If you don’t follow these terms it could void the contract.
Since it is a lot easier to keep an engine internally clean than it is to clean up a dirty one, and since proper lubrication is the most important aspect of engine longevity, you can see why proper oil maintenance is such a priority. Get your oil changed on time, and don’t skip the oil filter replacement. The next time your car is ready for an oil change, or any other services from brake pads to major engine issues, let the experts at Joe's Transmission and Auto Repair in Calhoun, KY handle it. We’ll keep your car maintained so you can avoid breakdowns and get the most out of your car, truck, or SUV.
Towing Services Provided
For many issues, your car remains driveable, and you can get it to us for repair. For others, your car may not work, be suitable for the road, or driving it will risk damaging it. If you’re in the latter position, don’t fret. Joe's Transmission and Auto Repair in Calhoun, KY can arrange a tow for your vehicle.
TOWING CALL: (270) 273-5200
Tow Trucks - Vehicle Issues or Engine Damage
If your car is overheating, experiencing low oil pressure, won’t start, the transmission is experiencing vehicle issues or engine trouble, perhaps your car has severe suspension or steering issues, or any other condition exists which prohibits your ability to get your car to us, we’ve got your back. Give us a call and a location, and we’ll have your car at the shop and ready for repair in no time. Calling us to have your car or truck towed to safety is an easier plan of action and will save you from damaging your vehicle further.
Towing isn't only for cars and trucks that simply won’t start or move, you should also have your car or truck towed if it is experiencing cooling or oil pressure issues, or the transmission is behaving incorrectly as this can cause major damage and cost you thousands. These problems almost always worsen rapidly and do constant damage while the engine is running or the car is driving. Don’t take a chance on destroying your vehicle’s engine or transmission by trying to drive it - let us move it for you. The same goes for steering and suspension issues; if the problem is bad enough, driving your car could cause something to break. This instantly jeopardizes the safety of you in your car and anyone else involved on the road.
Tow Trucks - Breakdowns
We have been called to tow cars and trucks due to bad batteries, the vehicle has a flat tire, or the driver ran out of fuel on the roadway. Also, there are multiple calls each year for our "lockout" service, where drivers have simply locked themselves out of their vehicles.
Tow Trucks - Accident Damage
We have been called out to tow vehicles as a direct result of a vehicular accident and are available for them as well. An accident could be with a stationary item, another vehicle, or hitting an animal on the road. You could be hauling something and the load shift causing a hazard and resulting in a crash. Should you drive off the road into a ditch, have a fender bender, suffer a collision (which we hope is not severe) simply give us a call and we will be available promptly on the scene to assist you in getting your vehicle out of harm's way and if you need a mechanic, then we can help you with that as well.
Our tow truck is available for all needs in the Calhoun area simply give us a call for service or if you are planning to have a vehicle transported via a schedule let us know and we can set that up for you as well at Joe's Transmission and Auto Repair in Calhoun know. Don’t risk more damage or stress over moving your car. It’s in good hands with us.